For assistance with your green jobs search, check out the CareerBuilder Resource Center at U.S. Green Technology. There you can get help crafting your resume, tailoring your job hunt, and connecting with employers who will share your values and appreciate your skills.
Do you have a special skill set, but are having trouble finding green jobs in your area? You’re not alone. Maybe you need to switch tactics. Many employers are outsourcing their work to freelancers instead of hiring employees. Some are even changing current full-time positions to a contract basis. It’s expensive to have employees! Freelancers can be much more affordable.
Maybe you should consider getting several green jobs instead of one by shopping your skills around as a freelancer. Narrow your online searches, or check out listings at online boards like FlexJobs.com.
Here are five popular freelance positions companies are currently after:
1. Consultants – Consultants are specialists who provide knowledge and advice to companies without being responsible for the outcome of company decisions. Freelancers provide services on a contractual basis. While the two are different, they’re not mutually exclusive.
2. Engineers – Do you design cutting edge green equipment that can work for commercial, government or residential installations? You could be a freelance engineer. Check out GreenLancer.com, an online community of freelance engineers working green jobs around the world.
3. Marketers – Green jobs providers need to market, just like everyone else. If you’ve got the skills to brand, promote and sell products or services, you’re in high demand. Those with skill in strategy are especially sought after.
4. Video developers – Did you study film or production, but are now facing a dearth of opportunities in the arts field? Broaden your scope. The demand for video specialists has increased more than 300 percent since 2010.
5. Writers – Some freelance writers are broad-range workers, able to write well about a variety of topics. But you can make an especially pretty penny if you’re a specialist in your area and have the writing skills to boot. Green jobs in technical writing can be rewarding in multiple ways.
Sign-up for U.S. Green Technology’s weekly newsletter to receive the latest green technology information, including the latest green jobs, blogs, news, and events.