For help with writing your resume, networking with employers, and finding your perfect solar job, visit the CareerBuilder Resource Center at U.S. Green Technology right away!
With the hustle and bustle of living in the city, it can seem practically impossible to do your part in living a green lifestyle. With the small apartments, necessary cab rides and busy lives we all live, it’s no surprise that many people laugh at the thought of going green in an urban environment. After all, how to go green isn’t necessarily something that is yelled from the roof tops of cities. However, now more than ever, green living is slowly but surely coming to the forefront and people are learning that there are small steps we all can take to be more responsible with the Earth’s precious resources. Here are a few things you can do to go green in the city.
- At Home – While you can’t completely control what businesses do to play their part in helping the Earth, you can control what you do inside your own home. Take small steps to make your home green.
- Turn off lights and unplug electronics that are not in use.
- Invest in energy efficient light bulbs. These lights use less energy and can also save you money in the long run.
- Look for furniture and flooring that is made from recycled materials. Not only are products made from eco-friendly material great for the environment, some materials have also been shown to add a warming touch to homes and are affordable.
- Conserve water in your home. This is another easy step you can take to live a greener lifestyle. Simply turn off the water when you’re brushing your teeth and be more conscious about how many showers or baths you take. Also, try to take more quick showers than baths to save more water.
- Do your research. Many modern apartments have installed energy efficient appliances in their buildings so research before you move.
- Want to reduce your carbon footprint and stay healthier? Simply walk more. Living in the city usually means that many places are crammed into a small area. Use this to your advantage by walking more. Walking can relieve stress, cut down on your carbon footprint and also can be a great way to exercise.
- Shopping can be green too – While a lot of stores may not utilize the most eco-friendly techniques, you can do your part by bringing your own shopping bags to stores. Always keep a bag with you for those last minute shopping trips.
- Know where you shop – The greatest power consumers have is the choice to choose where they spend their money. Do a bit of research on stores that utilize local resources and eco-friendly techniques. Stores that are not economically responsible will feel the pressure if consumers choose more green stores over theirs.
- Can’t live without your morning cup of Jo? Invest in a refillable mug or cup from your favorite coffee house and reuse your cup instead of buying a new cup that you will throw away every day. This is a great way to save resources. Also, many coffee shops give you a small discount for reusing cups. It’s a win-win situation!
Going green in the city is a lot easier than you may think it is. By taking small steps you can make a huge difference!
Magellan Development Group is Chicago’s premier real estate development company, developing environmentally-sensitive urban communities that combine innovative architectural design with high-quality construction. Visit Magellan today to find apartments for rent and condos for sale in Chicago.