The heat is on, and it’s time to break out the sunscreen if you’re going to stay safe outdoors. But if you’re looking for green sunscreen that doesn’t contain harsh chemicals, you may not be sure where to turn. Should you just stay in the shade all summer long? No way!
Some of the most effective sun blocking ingredients include zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, which are generally considered safe. However, there have been reports that zinc oxide may actually increase your risk of skin cancer. When exposed to the sun, it generates free radicals which can then be absorbed. Dr. Yinfa Ma at the University of Missouri found that lung cells exposed to zinc oxide deteriorated more quickly in UV light than other cells.
There are plenty of green sunscreens that don’t contain zinc oxide, titanium dioxide or parabens and other toxins. Look for products containing natural extracts. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Soleo Organics All Natural Sunscreen SPF 30 is made with grapeseed oil, sunflower oil, green tea, beeswax and macadamia oil.
- All Terrain Aquasport Performance is especially water-resistant. This green sunscreen is made with aloe vera, cucumber extract, bladderwrack extract and other natural plant extracts.
- Desert Essence Sunscreen Mineral SPF 30 contains grape seed extract, vitamin E and pomegranate extract–ingredients that are proven to not only repair cells and protect against UV damage, but are also known to reduce signs of aging.
The benefit of green sunscreens is that, in addition to blocking harmful rays, they nourish and nurture skin cells, making them more capable of resisting and repairing damage. This goes for sun damage, wrinkles, age spots and even acne. Green sunscreen keeps your skin healthy, which keeps it beautiful by default.
Sign-up for U.S. Green Technology‘s weekly newsletter to receive the latest green technology information, including the latest green jobs, blogs, news, and events.
- Another Stroke of Genius: SPF Powder!(fabsugar.com)
- Mineral vs Chemical Sunscreens – Soleil Organique to the Rescue(skincancerpreventionandinspiration.wordpress.com)
- Erika Katz: Is Your Sunscreen Doing More Harm Than Good?(huffingtonpost.ca)
- Quest for the Perfect Sunscreen, Part 2: Zinc Oxide(cultivatingstyle.com)