Maybe the traditional college classroom is not for you. That should not deter you from pursuing a job in the high-skill green economy. If you enjoy working with your hands, several apprenticeship opportunities are available through which you can train to land a green job – and get paid in the process. Several steps will help you to choose the right program that will enable you to reach your green job goal and claim work in a field that should be secure for the coming years.
1. Decide the trade area in which you would like to gain expertise through an apprenticeship. For instance, you can pursue training through a program that teaches you how to retrofit houses – a job that can pay up to $50 an hour. This type of work includes weatherizing houses and replacing water heaters and furnaces. You also might consider energy efficiency and solar installation training. Apprenticeship programs additionally are available that provide education in electrical, plumbing and HVAC while also awarding green certificates that demonstrate your ability to work on green construction projects that help the planet.
2. Apply to an apprenticeship, which is available at colleges, large companies such as electric utilities or labor unions. You typically must fill out a training program enrollment application and provide proof of having attained a high school diploma or GED. Apprenticeship programs also usually require applicants to be at least 18 years old.
3. Prepare to complete coursework on green building procedures as well as classes in mathematics, trade vocabulary and even blueprint reading. The green apprenticeship additionally gives you hands-on experience in a real-world setting. You typically receive 40 percent of a journeyman’s pay level when you start, and your wage increases as your level of experience increases. An apprenticeship can take about four years to complete.
4. Search for private contractors who are willing to hire you because you bring specialized green training to the table. You also can consider starting your own green business, which should be promising as the demand for energy-efficiency services at residences and commercial establishments continues to rise.
About U.S. Green Technology
U.S. Green Technology was established in January of 2009. U.S. Green Technology‘s mission is to share news and information about the latest advancements in green technologies and green jobs. U.S. Green Technology‘s areas of coverage include providing information on green social media campaigns, changes in green business, spread of the green movement throughout entertainment, green technological invention, new green start-ups, green manufacturing, green building, and green jobs. U.S. Green Technology recently launched a new free business directory for companies to promote their products and services. U.S. Green Technology also offers a green jobs board, powered by Simply Hired, for employers to post green jobs for job seekers interested in careers in the green jobs industries such as clean energy, renewable fuels, information technology, green building and green transportation.
Post a Job! $99 for 30 days
- GE: A Green Technology Electric Charging Business Leader (usgreentechnology.com)
- CODA Produces Electric Vehicles and Green Jobs (usgreentechnology.com)
- Green Tech at State Level Thrives Despite Solyndra Debacle (usgreentechnology.com)
- Schneider Electric Offers Energy-Efficiency Job (usgreentechnology.com)
- California Supports Green Technology with Hybrid Truck and Bus Voucher Incentive Project (usgreentechnology.com)
- Deloitte Offers Greening Programs and Jobs (usgreentechnology.com)
- Green Education Online will Introduce Sustainability Education Series at GOVgreen Conference 2011 (usgreentechnology.com)
- Green Education on Line Will Introduce Sustainability Education Series at Govgreen 2011 Conference (usgreentechnology.com)
- Dems and Republicans Divided on Green Jobs (usgreentechnology.com)
- IBM Strives To Build Green Planet With Green Jobs (usgreentechnology.com)
- Kenmore 14.8 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer (usgreentechnology.com)
- WIN Partners Brings Electric Vehicle Charging to the Job (usgreentechnology.com)
- CyberCoders Searches for Green-Minded Employees (usgreentechnology.com)
- Educating U.S. Workforce Critical to Green Technology Job Growth (usgreentechnology.com)
- Report Claims Obama Administration Failed Green Jobs Goal (usgreentechnology.com)
- Cooper Industries Pushes LED Lighting Deal (usgreentechnology.com)
- SPT 10,000 BTU Window Air conditioner (usgreentechnology.com)
- Bosch 24-inch Built-in Dishwasher Review (usgreentechnology.com)
- Zeta Creates Green Modular Buildings (usgreentechnology.com)
- How to Nail Your Green Job Interview (usgreentechnology.com)