Your resume is more than a mere list of your educational attainments and work experiences. It’s more than a list of your skills. Your job resume is what determines whether a company considers you even worth interviewing for an open position. As a result, your resume has a huge influence on your career progress over the long haul. In the growingly competitive green jobs industry, your resume will be your demise if you do not know how to specially market yourself to a green company.
Several aspects of your resume need to scream green in order to capture the attention of the hiring manager at the green business for which you want to work:
1. Use recycled paper. If you claim to be a proponent of the green movement, using recycled paper definitely will help your cause. Mail off your physical resume on recycled paper or hemp paper if submitting the resume electronically is not an option.
2. Mention everything green that you’ve contributed to, whether it was your school’s recycling program or efforts you made to help your apartment complex residents to use less energy and water. Your future employer will want to know whether you’re really just after “green” – money from a paycheck – or whether you truly are dedicated to making the world greener through environmentally friendly initiatives.
3. Get to know terms often used in the green industry. These words include “precycling” – making efforts to pre-think your purchases so that you can avoid having to do recycling, which is a good green activity but still requires energy consumption that can be prevented.
Another common green word is “green audit” – a process that allows a company to determine how energy efficient it is and what other activities it is performing to prevent harm to the environment. Including one or two of these types of words on your resume will demonstrate your familiarity with green lingo and ideas and thus make you more attractive to potential employers in the sustainability sector.
4. Have a friend or family member who currently works in a green job read over your resume to confirm that it makes sense. Ask him or her to suggest any changes you should make or any information you should add to make your resume stand out more to your chosen green company’s human resource department.
About U.S. Green Technology
U.S. Green Technology was established in January of 2009. U.S. Green Technology‘s mission is to share news and information about the latest advancements in green technologies and green jobs. U.S. Green Technology‘s areas of coverage include providing information on green social media campaigns, changes in green business, spread of the green movement throughout entertainment, green technological invention, new green start-ups, green manufacturing, green building, and green jobs. U.S. Green Technology recently launched a new free business directory for companies to promote their products and services. U.S. Green Technology also offers a green jobs board, powered by Simply Hired, for employers to post green jobs for job seekers interested in careers in the green jobs industries such as clean energy, renewable fuels, information technology, green building and green transportation.
Post a Job! $99 for 30 days
- GE: A Green Technology Electric Charging Business Leader (usgreentechnology.com)
- CODA Produces Electric Vehicles and Green Jobs (usgreentechnology.com)
- Green Tech at State Level Thrives Despite Solyndra Debacle (usgreentechnology.com)
- Schneider Electric Offers Energy-Efficiency Job (usgreentechnology.com)
- California Supports Green Technology with Hybrid Truck and Bus Voucher Incentive Project (usgreentechnology.com)
- Deloitte Offers Greening Programs and Jobs (usgreentechnology.com)
- Green Education Online will Introduce Sustainability Education Series at GOVgreen Conference 2011 (usgreentechnology.com)
- Green Education on Line Will Introduce Sustainability Education Series at Govgreen 2011 Conference (usgreentechnology.com)
- Dems and Republicans Divided on Green Jobs (usgreentechnology.com)
- IBM Strives To Build Green Planet With Green Jobs (usgreentechnology.com)
- Kenmore 14.8 Cu. Ft. Chest Freezer (usgreentechnology.com)
- How to Nail Your Green Job Interview (usgreentechnology.com)
- Zeta Creates Green Modular Buildings (usgreentechnology.com)
- Cooper Industries Pushes LED Lighting Deal (usgreentechnology.com)
- WIN Partners Brings Electric Vehicle Charging to the Job (usgreentechnology.com)
- Green IT to double in India in Next Three Years (usgreentechnology.com)
- Samsung Replenish: The Most Eco-Friendly Phone Out There (usgreentechnology.com)
- CyberCoders Searches for Green-Minded Employees (usgreentechnology.com)
- Columbus State Offers a Lesson in Being Green (usgreentechnology.com)