Gov. Bob McDonnell, the Republican Governor of Virginia, signed into law June 15 several bills aimed at encouraging the use of alternative and renewable energy sources. Gov. McDonnell signed the bills at a ceremony at the VCU School of Business that was attended by students and members of the Virginia Alternative and Renewable Energy Association, which lobbied for the bills.
“We do have a goal of making Virginia the energy capital of the East Coast, and a lot of things need to happen to effectuate that vision,” McDonnell said. “The bills I sign today will create new stepping stones towards that goal.”
Clean Energy makes up only 3 percent of total energy used in Virginia
Gov. McDonnell said that sources such as solar, wind and biomass make up only 3 percent of the total energy used in Virginia. Among the bills signed was one that creates a Clean Energy Manufacturing Incentive Grant Program. The clean energy program will provide financial incentives to companies manufacturing renewable and clean energy technologies. To be eligible, a company must make a capital investment greater than $50 million and create at least 200 full-time green jobs. This would include companies making components for nuclear power plants. For wind energy suppliers to be eligible, they must make a capital investment of more than $10 million and create at least 30 full-time green jobs.
“We are going after the big projects,” Gov. McDonnell said.
Another bill signed was aimed at homeowners: It increases the maximum capacity for participation in a residential net metering program from 10 kilowatts to 25 kilowatts. Net metering allows those who use solar or wind on their home to receive retail credit for the electricity they generate.
The governor also signed into law two companion bills that create the Voluntary Solar Resource Development Fund and require electric utilities to allow customers to make voluntary contributions to the fund. The State Corporation Commission will use the funds to issue grants to nonprofits, businesses and residences for the use of solar energy systems.
About U.S. Green Technology
U.S. Green Technology was established in January of 2009. U.S. Green Technology‘s mission is to share news and information about the latest advancements in green technology and clean energy jobs. U.S. Green Technology‘s areas of coverage include providing information on green social media campaigns, changes in green business, spread of the green movement throughout entertainment, green technological invention, new green start-ups, green manufacturing, green building, and clean energy jobs. U.S. Green Technology recently launched a new free business directory for Green Technology companies to promote their products and services. U.S. Green Technology also offers a clean energy jobs board, powered by Simply Hired, for employers to post clean energy jobs for job seekers interested in careers in clean energy industries.
- American Superconductor and Satcon Focus On Clean Energy Jobs (usgreentechnology.com)
- Northern California Power Agency Agreement Creates Geothermal Jobs (usgreentechnology.com)
- FirmGreen Creates Green Technology Jobs Turning Trash into Gas (usgreentechnology.com)
- Small Business Urges Congress To Save E85 Flex Fuel Tax Credit (usgreentechnology.com)
- Next Alternative’s Battle Creek Plant to Create 100 Green Jobs (usgreentechnology.com)
- Green Jobs To Be Created from Etrion’s Agreement with Yingli (usgreentechnology.com)
- Ecotech Institute Prepares Students For Green Technology Jobs (usgreentechnology.com)
- Do You Know What The Hottest Top 10 Green Technology Jobs Are? (usgreentechnology.com)
- Growth Of Green Technology Jobs Drives New Green Search Engines (usgreentechnology.com)
- MarketResearch.com Reports Renewable Energy to Increase 49% (usgreentechnology.com)
- Republican Governor Jumps Onto Clean Energy To Create Jobs (usgreentechnology.com)
- Green Technology Company Creates New Route For Transportation (usgreentechnology.com)
- Green Technology is Gold Mine for Investing (usgreentechnology.com)
- Green Technology at the 2012 Consumer Electronics Show (usgreentechnology.com)
- Green Technology Council Gets New Leader (usgreentechnology.com)
- Green Technology Will Come to the Economy’s Rescue (usgreentechnology.com)
- Green Technology Job Boards to Consider in Your Green Job Hunt (usgreentechnology.com)
- China-based Green Technology Company EKKO (usgreentechnology.com)
- What Can “Green” Do for You? Quite a Bit Actually (usgreentechnology.com)
- Your Website Can Become Green (usgreentechnology.com)
- Green Technology Becomes Online Craze (usgreentechnology.com)